Friday, March 13, 2015

Platinum Watch: #54 Apotheon

Apotheon is the 54th game I got 100% of the trophies in. If you think that is a lot, I've been earning trophies on PlayStation system since they were introduced in 2008 with Super Stardust HD. If you don't think it's that many, I only earn the platinum in games I really enjoy.



I ended up really liking this game, though in the beginning I was doubtful. When I heard it had Metroidvania elements, I winced. I generally like 2D games where there is a clear path of what to do. It took many hours to adjust to clearing objectives in Mercenary Kings, and I never got much further into that game. Maybe it was the setting in Apotheon that kept me playing, with a very similar setting and story to God of War. It wasn't until about 2 hours in and many internet searches that I understood most of the intricacies of this game. I feel they could have done a better job explain things such as the shield bash mechanic, weapon durability, or the stamina bar. The combat gets really fun, though on Warrior (normal, default) difficulty gets easy as you get stronger, by the end I felt invincible and didn't even use a majority of available items and potion buffs.

That was the good, now on to that bad. Selecting the weapon or item you want is a HASSLE. There is no quick select. You need one. Period. Then there's technical issues. There is about a 20% chance opening a chest for awesome items, and is a required trophy, that the game will crash. This happen countless times and ended up with me saving before and after each chest. Which work most of the time unless I was in combat or the room is spinning. That leads us to the second tech issue. After saving in the spinning room, I would spawn in a wall, outside of geometry keeping my in the game and would result in instant death. Luckily the game has a good auto-save feature with 3 saves to revert back to a safe save. But this want the only time it happened, Half a dozen other times enemies hit me through walls, I even swam through one unable to get back in. Items would also become unreachable this same way. The issue left many feeling of unfairness while play.

All that aside, in 11 hours*, this is a great and fun Platinum.



*I will fully admit I used a well known glitch to skip the extra play-through on Olympian difficulty. I am bad at games, I like to feel powerful. The extra challenge on higher difficulties was of no interest to me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment